Melrose Leadership Academy
2017 Grant program are open through Sept 15, 2016.
The Melrose Leadership Academy supports the professional development of GCSAA member superintendents by providing individuals the opportunity to attend the Golf Industry Show. The program is set up to provide up to 20 scholarships every year. Applications for the 2016 Melrose Leadership Academy are now closed.
The academy is open to applicants who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be a current GCSAA Class A or Class B member and GCSAA Chapter member in good standing.
- Must be a Class A or Class B member for five or more years.
- Class A or Class B members working for current members of the board of directors or the board of trustees, and children of GCSAA staff members shall not be eligible for the Melrose Leadership Academy.
- Past recipients are not eligible.
- Attendees of the Golf Industry Show in the last five years are not eligible to apply.
The Melrose Leadership Academy was established in 2012 by Ken Melrose, retired CEO and chairman of the board of The Toro Co., and is supported by a $1 million gift to the EIFG from The Kendrick B. Melrose Family Foundation. This program will have a positive impact for each superintendent selected and ultimately, the game of golf.
While at the education conference, class members will attend sessions hosted by golf’s industry leaders, such as Melrose, CEOs of golf’s leading associations and recognized within the profession and the game. The event will also allow opportunities to network with GCSAA leadership, industry leaders and certified peers at various roundtables, receptions and events. The academy will offer education in the areas of:
- Risk management (health, safety, and environmental copliance)
- Efficient operations (agronomic, equipment maintenance, etc.)
- Key business elements, including communication
- Environmental stewardship
Grant recipients will receive the following:
- Golf Industry Show full package registration
- Education seminars and leadership sessions
- Five nights’ hotel accommodations
- $200 spending money
- Following the conference and show, grant recipients will continue to receive communications recommending education, tools and resources offered by GCSAA to keep class participants engaged.
Graduates of the Melrose Leadership Academy will elevate their professional status and provide enhanced value to their facility through:
- Education points
- Leadership training
- Development of a new network of peers and resources
- A broad understanding of issues facing the golf industry
- An understanding of how to build a professional network through attending the conference and show
The selection process is designed to provide a class representative of the diverse elements of the GCSAA membership. The selection criteria takes into account qualifications, interest and financial need, and to the extent possible, will be focused on less experienced superintendents who will benefit most from the educational opportunity. Applicants should be able to demonstrate an increasing level of responsibility in their profession by working to advance in their careers, and the potential for continuing to play a leadership role with GCSAA and their GCSAA affiliated chapter. Work experience, scope of personal interests, level of community involvement, and recognition of leadership abilities through receipt of honors/awards may also have significant impact in the final selection process.